Who knew that panda bear’s favorite food would wind up being the core center of a new fashion? A semi-new all organic clothesline, Panda Snack, was founded in the summer of 2005, by Deborah Bovia and Dearrick Knupp. Their mission is, “to create a lifestyle brand using bamboo fiber, to make innovative cool products and mix it with our own design philosophy,” a direct quote from the ‘About Us’ section on their website, http://pandasnack.com/.
The choice of using bamboo, is not only due to the fact that it is renewable and sustainable, but also doesn’t require any pesticides or herbicides to grow. Panda Snack bamboo comes from farmed bamboo, instead of forests. On top of this new clothesline creating their own organic clothing, they only team up with manufacturing partners who show the same enthusiasm for the environment.
Their clothesline they have constructed is a knit collection for both men and women in a classic sense, with an added twist, and special attention to detail. Recently Gliving.com posted an article about Panda Snack along with some pictures of their line, which is what sparked my interest. I decided to check out their website myself, to form my own opinion on the new bamboo clothes. The clothes definitely have a sleek, classic look, even borderline preppy on some styles.
The majority of the Fall ‘08 collection was composed of v-necks, t-shirts or polo style shirts. This disheartened me, since this is not the kind of style I would normally wear, or be a fan of. Yet, due to the fact that it does seem cutting edge, just with the material alone, I definitely condone those who do rock this new fetish.
Fashion isn’t the only place being affected by bamboo either. Stores and websites all around are starting to join in on the new organic breakthrough. Bed, Bath and Beyond sell 100% bamboo sheets. West Elm, a furniture and accessory store, sells bamboo throws, blankets, and serving bowls and trays for the kitchen. It seems like this may be a new favorite trend!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Yaaaah, I don't really know how I feel about bamboo as a new trend per say. I'm as open minded as the next person when it comes to anything that's cutting edge regardless of what field. This seems like its kind of forced though. Forced in the sense that it's trying to jump on the band wagon of the organic, natural theme that is almost automatically deemed 'hip' or 'in' simply because it is 'organic.' I'm all about sustainability but this seems just too bizarre. Maybe if I saw some pictures to see how it bamboo is actually utilized in fashion I'd change my mind.
ReplyDeleteBamboo clothes sound like something cool to say your wearing. I looked up the website (link wasn't working) and some of their clothes actually seem pretty decent, I don't know what I was expecting bamboo clothing to look like. I do agree though with Sal, It does seem though as if some people are buying products just because they say they are "green" or environmentally safe. I don't know what type of impact buying "green" clothes would make...I guess you would have to weigh out the use of cotton against bamboo.
ReplyDeleteI liked your opening line in the post. It might be because its around midnight but it made me giggle. I love that people are going green its comforting. I usually could careless what my clothes are made of as long as they're comfy and decent looking. However, the idea of bamboo clothing is kind of cool. Guess I'll try out the sheets and see how they feel.
ReplyDeleteI have seen some of the items made with bamboo and they actually are pretty nice. There is a place in St. Pete that specializes in it. They sometimes give out tins with contains a peice of cloth that you put in ice water and wrap around your neck to cool you down. It works, ir very durable and lasts after washing several times.
ReplyDelete